Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Long Time No Write...

Hi all!

Well, it has been nearly four months since I have posted anything on my blog site, so I had better let you all know what is going on at my end of the world.

I'm back in Alaska (finally).... Things didn't really go to plan - this is me: things never go to plan - but we sorted out a solution in the end. The long and the short of it, I didn't get a visa to work here in the US. I had everything ready, and in May headed back Down Under thinking that I would get a visa in Sydney. I had a week in New Zealand catching up with friends over there before heading back to Australia in time for my Mum's birthday.

After a few weeks in Australia, I found out that everything had fallen through with my visa. That was really frustrating, because I was so confident that this would work out. And moreover, it left me at a loose end, wondering what I would do next... I didn't really have a plan B that I could fall back on. I was frustrated and confused. Brian and I scratched our heads, and tried to work out what we would do next.

First of all, we decided to put the visa application process on hold... It had been time consuming, gut-wrenching and just out and out exhausting. We also figured that if I attack the visa paperwork after a year, I'll have renewed energy and fresh eyes with which to approach it.

As for what I would do in the meantime, well, my Dad and I came up with a working solution: I would stay in Australia and work for him for the time being, and I could travel back and forth between Alaska to visit Brian. And for now, that's what I am doing. My Dad is a scrapmetal trader in Mackay, and I'm driving one of his trucks. So, I'm a truckie for the time being. Yep, it is something that I never imagined doing, but hey, it works!

So I worked for my Dad for three months in Australia before making it back here at the end of August, in time for Brian's birthday. It's good being back in Alaska... Second time around I have settled back in quite quickly. I'm going to stay here until just after Alaska Day (18 October) and then I'll head back to Australia for another stint of work.

So, that's my news, really. Sorry I have been out of touch. Following below is a blog entry that I never posted. I wrote it back when I was here last time.


---------------------


Anchorage and Jeopardy!



"I'll choose.... American cities for $400, please."

Well, recently I took a trip to Anchorage. Anhorage is the largest city in Alaska and the travel guidebooks say that from Anchorage "Alaska is only fifteen minutes away". It is kind of true. It is an international hub for some of the major oil and petroleum companies (given its proximity to the oilfields on the North Slope and Prudhoe Bay), not to mention one of the busiest air cargo ports in the US. In terms of urban jungle, it isn't too big, but it is sprawly. It is kind of like Christchurch in that respect - very spread out. In fact, it is a bit of an ugly place: when the tide goes out the Turnagain and Knik arms empty out and it look like a bit of a mudflat. Unsuspecting tourists have been known to wander out onto the mudflats and get stuck; the tide turns and sadly, many have drowned.
As for the comment that from Anchorage "Alaska is only fifteen minutes away" well, you'd be forgiven if you forgot that you were actually in Alaska while visiting Anchorage. City-wise, it could be anywhere in the US. However, the mountain ranges of the Chugach, and the highest peak in the US, Mt. MicKinley can be seen in the distance - the reminder that Alaska isn't really too far away.

I jumped in the car and took a drive to little village called Whittier. This place is a very cool slice of Alaska: little village, right on the sea, friendly locals - and the town is built on the other side of a mountain and you have to drive through a tunnel to get there. But the tunnel is only open at certain times of the day, so you might end up in this place longer than you could otherwise expect.

A few exciting things happened while I was in Anchorage. I saw the State Governor unveil what will be Alaska's state quarter. The design chosen was one of a grizzly bear catching a salmon in a stream, with the slogan "The Great Land". So, it wasn't the one that I voted for, the one that said "Land of the Midnight Sun", but it is still pretty cool. It will be released next year.

Another crazy and exciting thing that I did while in Anchorage was try out for the TV game show 'Jeopardy!'. Jeopardy is a trivia quiz where you are given the answer, so you must give the correct question. For example: you'll be given "This is situated on the east coast of Australia and is the largest city in the country," and you must respond with "Where is Sydney?" Anyway, they were having try-outs in Anchorage to go on Jeopardy. So, I had to give it a go!
Now, I recommend reading Raybon Kan's article "US Wheel of Fortune: An Epic Life Experience" if you want to really know what trying out for a US game show is like! It seems that just about everyone here in America wants to go on a game show... and only a few make it!
Anyway, as for my Jeopardy experience, it was soooooo much fun! And, I made it through to the second round! Basically, you had to take a written test, and if you pass that, you go onto the next round with a longer test, and if you pass that, you're pretty much on the show. So I took the first test, and passed it! And then we got to play just-for-fun Jeopardy and won cool prizes like Jeopardy hats and pens. Anyway, I went back the next day for the second round. It was fun too, but the test was much longer and harder, and it was question about the US which eventually knocked me out: stuff about presidents, and US rivers and mountains.... I didn't have a clue. And there was one question that I completely mucked up: "What Grand Duchy is situated next to the Belgian province of the same name?" I quickly scribbled down Leichtenstein...... It wasn't until several hours later after my audition had finished that I smacked my forehead and said, "YOU IDIOT! It's not Leichtenstien. It's Luxembourg!" Damn! Maybe I could have been on Jeopardy if I had gotten that one right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

selva,have u got ur Australian visa