Thursday, March 22, 2007

YVR

I had a fleeting visit to Vancouver earlier in the week. Vancouver is a really beautiful city and the little I saw of Canada has left me with a really good impression. Vancouver reminded me of Sydney - without the Australians. At the same time it reminded me somewhat of Christchurch with lots of similar street names and localities. (This is obviously due to the British influence on both cities.)

While I was there I took in the Granville Island markets. These markets were a hive of activity: lots of meat and produce and food! There was even a little tea stall, so I sat and drank some tea. I had Masala Chai, which is the best stuff I have ever tasted. And it wasn't the crap that comes out of a bottle, it was all hand mixed and it was superb. I also tried some Hawai'ian Rooibos tea with coconut and pineapple in it. So the tea was awesome but I drank so much of it that I needed to pee all afternoon!

The Canadians are really friendly. They are very laid-back and I could definitely see myself living there.Even though I was there only for a short visit, I had a great time and I would love to got back and explore some more.

2 comments:

Bryce Necklen said...

Hey Robert
Enjoyed your blog.
Man what are you doing in Alaska?
It's funny. You're from Australia, I met you in China, only saw you once in NZ and now you're in Alaska! Where will you go next?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob - I've been keeping up with your blog as a result of Dallas - I'm in the US on course with him. Being a Canadian from Ottawa, it was great to read what you thought of Vancouver and Canadians in general - I'm sure that Canada wouldn't mind sharing with another Austrialian. I've been to Granville Island twice and consider it a top spot in Vancouver. Loved your story about your piano - glad everything worked out ok in the end. Keep up the blog and enjoy your time in Alaska.