Thursday, January 4, 2007

I'm here in the land of the midnight sun.... and it's DARK

Alaska is well and truly amazing!
It has some breathtaking beauty, but I am led to believe that it is even more beautiful in the spring and summer, so I think I will be in for a treat.
At the moment, though, it's the middle of winter; the days are very short. There doesn't seem to be any real sunrise or sunset as such, it becomes light after ten am and by four pm it's dark. One real highlight of my few days here so far has been snow! Apparently it rarely snows it Sitka - the bus driver told me that she hasn't seen snow in Sitka for more than 20 years, however it has been snowing for the last 24 hours. There is a really nice cover of snow everywhere and I got to walk around outside in the snow a bit today. Tonight there was heaps of snow built up on the roof and large tracts of snow would crash noisily to the ground! Very exciting stuff! One thing that has really surprised me: it's not cold. Well, I mean, yes it's cold, but it's really pleasant and you don't need layers and layers of clothing. The air doesn't have the biting chill to it like in New Zealand. Even better, everywhere has central heating!
I've been here for nearly a week now and I am starting to get out and explore more and more. Today I managed the bus - this town has a grand total of two bus routes! I've also found the Sitka job centre and my job hunt has started!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, Rob!

Good to hear things are going well in Alaska. Keep us posted.

Chris

Unknown said...

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you arrived safely.
Keep warm, keep safe, and keep in God!

Marisa

holiday499 said...

Hey Rob,
If they have sun beds you should go for a visit. Not because you are white but it should help with the little amount of sun light you are getting.

Holly

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.